Talawa Firsts July 2021
7th – 16th July 2021
Innovative - Electrifying - Unapologetic
Talawa Firsts is the stage for fresh Black creative voices.
Watch livestreams of new work from some of the most exciting new Black British writers today, and take part in workshops to develop your creative practice this July.
Please note - You can only watch the livestream (this is not an public in-person event). There are adult themes and drug references in some of the work. We advise that this work is suitable for people aged 16+
Stage Manager: Kevanna Etten
Assistant Stage Manager: Waverley Moran
Fresh Black Voices
Talawa Firsts 2021 presents new work from some of the most exciting Black writers working in Britain today.
We'll have livestreamed staged readings, real-world and digital workshops.
Talawa Theatre Company is the UK's outstanding Black theatre company. For 35 years we have been shining a spotlight on the most exciting Black British talent.
Our commitment to Black British artists and creatives is stronger than ever.
So, what's planned for Talawa Firsts 2021?
- Wednesday 7th July - a FREE online workshop with AUDIBLE on writing for audio drama and getting your work on to the Audible platform
- Thursday 8th July - a livestreamed double bill of new plays by William Nyerere Plastow directed by Ebenezer Bambgoye and Natasha Marshall directed by Tonderai Munyevu
- Friday 9th July - a real-world workshop at Talawa's Studio at Fairfield Halls led by Kane Husbands all about developing a physical theatre and movement tool kit
- Thursday 15th July - a livestreamed double bill of new plays from Keisha Thompson and Juliana Ayeni Stevens
- Friday 16th July - an Introduction to Playwriting workshop with Cassiopeia Berkeley-Agyepong which will be held in the real-world at Talawa's Studio at Fairfield Halls
“Talawa Firsts is an essential platform for launching new Black British creative talent. Powerful and honest, Black creatives are writing, performing and creating stories in vital and dynamic ways. Watch history in the making at Talawa Firsts.”
Book Talawa Firsts Workshops below
How are we keeping audiences for the real-world workshops safe? See below
Find out how we are keeping audiences safe
Introducing The Talawa Firsts 2021 Playwrights
Talawa Writers' Podcast
Catch our Artistic Director Michael Buffong is in conversation with Talawa Firsts writers past and present. There are conversations with Theresa Ikoko, Keisha Thompson, Archie Maddocks and William Nyerere Plastow, and more to come.
With humour, warmth and intelligence these writers discuss their journeys and paths into writing for the stage and getting their work produced.
The Talawa Firsts roll call
- Past Talawa Firsts writers include Theresa Ikoko, babirye bukilwa, Archie Maddocks, Natasha Marshall, Nicôle Lecky, Amanda Wilkin, Sylvia Arthur, Eno Mfon, and Christian Graham.
- Theatre makers and creatives who have played a part in Talawa Firsts enduring success include David Gilbert, Azara Meghie, Myah Jeffers, Yami "Rowdy" Löfvenberg, Sean Graham, Ann Akin, Zeddie Lawal, Coral Messam, Anastasia Osei-Kuffour, Miranda Cromwell, Madeleine Kludje, Zeddie Lawal, Mika Onyx Johnson, Rachel Clarke, Heather Agyepong, Amahra Spence, Botis Seva, David Judge and Daniel Bailey.
We are so grateful to each and every person who has played a part in making Talawa Firsts such an important part of the UK theatre scene.
We're really grateful to our supporters Arts Council England, Martin Bowley Charitable Trust, Cockayne - Grants for the Arts, The London Community Foundation, and BFI NETWORK.