Talawa Firsts July 2021
7th – 16th July 2021
Innovative - Electrifying - Unapologetic
Talawa Firsts is the stage for fresh Black creative voices.
Celebrate the most exciting new Black British writers and take part in workshops to develop your creative practice this July.
Fresh Black Voices
Talawa Firsts 2021 presents some of the most exciting Black writers working in Britain today, with a mix of livestreamed staged readings, real-world and digital workshops.
Talawa Theatre Company is the UK's outstanding Black theatre company. For 35 years we have been shining a spotlight on the most exciting Black British talent.
Our commitment to Black British artists and creatives is stronger than ever.
“Talawa Firsts is an essential platform for launching new Black British creative talent. Powerful and honest, Black creatives are writing, performing and creating stories in vital and dynamic ways. Watch history in the making at Talawa Firsts.”
What's on at Talawa Firsts in July 2021?
Four amazing Black writers - Bold, exciting new work - Livestreamed staged readings.
Thursday 8th July - new plays from Manchester-based playwright and film-maker William Nyerere Plastow and writer, performer Natasha Marshall.
Thursday 15th July - new plays from Manchester-based writer, performance artist and producer, Keisha Thompson and writer and producer Juliana Ayeni Stevens.
So, what else is planned?
- Wednesday 7th July - a FREE online workshop with AUDIBLE on writing for audio drama and getting your work on to the Audible platform
- Thursday 8th July - a livestreamed double bill of new plays by William Nyerere Plastow and Natasha Marshall
- Friday 9th July - a real-world workshop at Talawa's Studio at Fairfield Halls led by Kane Husbands all about developing a physical theatre and movement tool kit
- Thursday 15th July - a livestreamed double bill of new plays from Keisha Thompson and Juliana Ayeni Stevens
- Friday 16th July - an Introduction to Playwriting workshop with Cassiopeia Berkeley-Agyepong which will be held in the real-world at Talawa's Studio at Fairfield Halls
How can I see the livestreamed plays?
See a livestream of the plays on a pay-what-you-can basis.
By providing a livestream of the staged readings at Talawa Firsts we're keeping our creatives and performers safe and enabling more people to see the work.
The minimum donation is £1. You are very welcome to pay more. We are paying all the creatives involved.
Book to view the livestream (Eventbrite)
Book Talawa Firsts Workshops below
Introducing The Talawa Firsts 2021 Playwrights
The Talawa Firsts roll call
- Past Talawa Firsts writers include Theresa Ikoko, babirye bukilwa, Archie Maddocks, Natasha Marshall, Nicôle Lecky, Amanda Wilkin, Sylvia Arthur, Eno Mfon, and Christian Graham.
- Theatre makers and creatives who have played a part in Talawa Firsts enduring success include David Gilbert, Azara Meghie, Myah Jeffers, Yami "Rowdy" Löfvenberg, Sean Graham, Ann Akin, Zeddie Lawal, Coral Messam, Anastasia Osei-Kuffour, Miranda Cromwell, Madeleine Kludje, Zeddie Lawal, Mika Onyx Johnson, Rachel Clarke, Heather Agyepong, Amahra Spence, Botis Seva, David Judge and Daniel Bailey.
We are so grateful to each and every person who has played a part in making Talawa Firsts such an important part of the UK theatre scene.
We're really grateful to our supporters Arts Council England, Martin Bowley Charitable Trust, Cockayne - Grants for the Arts, The London Community Foundation, and the BFI Network.