Run It Back by TYPT:18
29th – 31st August 2018
BSL interpreted show - Thursday 30th August
Duration: 75 minutes
Venue: Hackney Showroom | Hackney Downs Studios | Amhurst Terrace | London | E8 2BT
Accessibility: The venue is fully accessible
Come. See some great new theatre, shout some lyrics, shake a leg, join in – there is plenty room for all of that.
Run It Back was a brand new show devised by London’s freshest emerging Black talent, produced by Talawa Theatre Company.
Behind the police tape in a disused warehouse a party is raging.
A collective has taken over and distorted bass pulses through the streets, calling the ravers in.
Lost in the music and dripping with sweat they surrender to the DJ’s game.
Bring your rags and flags for a night of theatre powered by grime, bashment and afrobeat.
Run It Back is a powerful, exciting, explosive and immersive new show from Talawa Theatre Company. Directed by movement director Coral Messam, Run It Back features dance, physical theatre and a live set from award-winning DJ Conrad Kira to ignite the action.
This production is the latest in a string of sell-out shows from TYPT, Talawa Theatre Company’s annual collaboration with some of today's most exciting emerging Black theatre makers.
★★★★★ The Upcoming (Selina Begum)
"Run It Back defines the rave culture scene ... realising the British Black experience without condescension ... this summer’s must-see immersive theatre"
- Director - Coral Messam
- DJ - Conrad Kira
- Designer - Amanda Mascarenhas
- Lighting Designer - Pablo Fernandez Baz
- Voice Coach - Hazel Holder
- Assistant Director - Esme Allman
- Production Manager - Samantha Nurse
- Stage Manager - Lorrell Rawlins
- Assistant Designer - Amada Piedra
- ASMs - Jimi Ogun & Sasha Bond
- Creative Producer - Gail Babb
- Producer - Pooja Sitpura
- Wunmi Ibironke
- Ayomide Adegun
- Johnson Adebayo
- Jordan Duvigneau
- Simeon Blake-Hall
- Tife Kusoro
- Victoria Buky Esan
- Ewaoluwa Esther Dina
- Francesca Amewudah-Rivers
- Esmonde Edgar Cole
- Ashlee Elizabeth Lolo Roberts
- Dzifa Gazo
Run It Back
Set up in 1995, TYPT provides a unique stepping-stone for emerging Black theatre makers, including actors, stage managers and designers at the beginning of their careers. Participants’ relationship and development with Talawa does not end with the initial intensive 4-week programme, as they continue to receive free support from us as their careers develop.
Michaela Coel, Writer and Performer, BAFTA Winner ‘Best Female Performance in a Comedy Programme’ and ‘Breakthrough Talent’ 2016, and TYPT:09 alumna
"I came to TYPT looking for the empowerment to develop as a performer and writer, and I certainly succeeded, we all did. Talawa’s enduring faith in developing new artists is remarkable and for my own journey TYPT was the biggest part of that."
TYPT alumni include:
- Michaela Coel (E4’s Chewing Gum and The Aliens, Channel 4’s Top Boy and Home, National Theatre)
- Nonso Anozie (HBO’s Game of Thrones, CBS’ Zoo and Disney’s Cinderella)
- Shanika Warren-Markland (Noel Clarke’s Adulthood, Brotherhood and 4321 and BFI’s Gone Too Far!)
- Sandra Thompson-Quartey (Artistic Director of Writers Avenue Theatre Company and Talent Agency)
- Femi Oguns MBE (Director of The Identity Drama School)
- Natasha Marshall (Talawa Theatre Company and Soho Theatre's Half Breed)