Talawa has a history of nurturing and collaborating with outstanding writers such as Michael Bhim, Roy Williams, Derek Walcott, Jackie Kay, Trish Cooke and Malorie Blackman. We are now developing the next generation of Black British writers such as Arinze Kene, Somalia Seaton, Theresa Ikoko and Inua Ellams and becoming:
- A home for Black British talent
- A space in which unheard voices can first be heard
- An influential player in shaping a diverse future for British theatre
Talawa's Literary Department is led by Literary Associate Jane Fallowfield.
There are several ways to get involved with Talawa's Literary work:
- Script Reading Service | available up to three times per year, you can submit a new play or become a reader and help us give new writers constructive feedback
- Studio Firsts | available up to three times per year, we select the most exciting theatre makers to spend a week in our Studio creating a new piece of work
- Talawa Writers' Programme | a yearly initiative to work intensively with three new writers over a year long programme of activity, culminating in three new commissions
- Talawa Firsts | an unmissable season of firsts, showcasing new talent, and building skills and networks
- Invite us to see your show | if you are an emerging artist and would like to invite us to see your current project, we welcome invitations all year round.