Unconscious Bias and Diversity Training
What is Unconscious Bias?
Unconscious bias operates through learned stereotypes that are automatic, unintentional, deeply ingrained, seemingly universal, and which influence behaviour.
Talawa’s bespoke Unconscious Bias and Diversity training is designed to expose people to their unconscious biases, and using theatre techniques honed over decades, provides tools to adjust automatic patterns of thinking, and ultimately eliminate discriminatory behaviours.
We encourage organisations or groups of individuals to dismantle systematic racism and biases by educating their teams to be aware of and recognise Unconscious Bias, and build awareness and understanding collectively.
Together, you can be part of making a change.
Why commission Talawa?
For more than 34 years, Talawa Theatre Company has been at the forefront of telling Black stories on British stages.
Our artist development activity foregrounds the talents of Black creatives in theatre.
Today, Talawa writers, directors, actors and creative personnel work in all areas of British theatre, TV and Film, enriching the cultural life of the UK beyond measure.
Through our work, we actively listen to, develop and support Black people at all stages of their creative careers, equipping our artists with the skills and tools necessary to navigate an often-prejudiced world. It's why we are the UK's leading Black theatre company.
Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
"The single story creates stereotypes, and the problem with stereotypes is not that they are untrue, but that they are incomplete. They make one story become the only story."
So, what’s involved?
Our bespoke Unconscious Bias and Diversity training is delivered in three stages with a mix of practical activities and experiential learning which requires active participation and dialogue.
We're not offering a dry lecture. We offer a hands-on and practical deep dive involving all staff from every level of the organisation, building a collective understanding of Unconscious Bias and Diversity and why inclusion and anti-racism matters.
By working together, everyone holds themselves and each other to account to achieve and sustain meaningful behavioural change across an organisation.
Because of the current Covid-19 restrictions the sessions can be delivered virtually to make them safe, or in person when social distancing is eased. The first stage is an introductory session which will help you open conversations around Unconscious Bias and Diversity with your teams.
- Unpacking Unconscious Bias – Stage 1: An introductory session in the form of a structured conversation on the theme of unconscious bias and cultural diversity.
- Language and Behaviours of Unconscious bias – Stage 2: A focused look at diversity with examples of languages and behaviours which may cause discomfort to others. We also provide a separate module at stage 2 for Black, Asian and ethnically diverse staff.
- Solutions focused training – Stage 3: Identifying the barriers that prohibit an inclusive workplace, and the tools that are available or needed to remove these, both as individuals and as an institution.
How we work
- We will work with you on the logistics of delivering these three stages and will ensure the content is bespoke to your organisation.
- Each session runs for two and a half hours to allow space for conversations to happen fully. Each session should have a maximum of 15 participants.
- Our facilitators are drawn from Black, Asian and ethnically diverse backgrounds, people with a lived experience and understanding of the impacts of Unconscious Bias and the barriers they present to achieving true and meaningful Diversity, Inclusion and ultimately Anti-Racism.
Contact us to check availability and book > contact us
Who has Talawa helped?
We have worked with RADA, the world-renowned Drama school, its first year students, teaching staff, senior management teams, audition panels and Principal.
We are also working with LAMDA, another renowned Drama school. And we cover all the bases, working with large corporations, and community based organisations too.
Our training is bespoke and can be adapted to suit different business types - from adland, charities and education institutions, to health, publishing, or tech.
Get in touch > contact us
LAMDA workshops participant
"Thank you so much, and can I please once again extend my gratitude to you all for such insightful, graceful and important sessions. They are truly impactful and beautifully held."
RADA Audition Panel workshops participant
"Very interesting and stimulating session - that has got me thinking about the whole issue of unconscious bias with regard to the audition process and beyond."
RADA workshops participant
"More training like this, it's really raised consciousness and opened up important dialogues."