TYPT is Talawa’s flagship programme for emerging Black theatre makers.
TYPT puts together a team of emerging Black artists aged 18-25 to work with established artists with the aim of co-creating a brand new show. The results are always exciting.
Whether performer, stage manager, designer or technician, particpants gain invaluable experience of professional theatre. Every element of the process is open to the young people taking part - from initial production meetings to script development sessions; from meetings with graphic designers to the get-out.
Past TYPT Participants
Past TYPT participants have gone on to successful careers in theatre, TV and film; working as performers, producers, writers and technicians for a range of organisations including The Bush Theatre, Oval House, Young Vic, and the National Theatre. Alumni include:
- Michaela Coel (E4’s Chewing Gum and The Aliens, Channel 4’s Top Boy and Home, National Theatre)
- Nonso Anozie (HBO’s Game of Thrones, CBS’ Zoo and Disney’s Cinderella)
- Shanika Warren-Markland (Noel Clarke’s Adulthood, Brotherhood and 4321 and BFI’s Gone Too Far!)
- Femi Oguns MBE (Director of The Identity Drama School)
- Sandra Thompson-Quartey (Artistic Director of Writers Avenue Theatre Company and Talent Agency)
- Natasha Marshall (Half Breed)
- Heather Agyepong (performer in Girls, Noughts & Crosses, and Amazon's The Power)
★★★★★ The Upcoming (Selina Begum)
"Run It Back defines the rave culture scene ... realising the Black British experience without condescension"
TYPT 12: Participant
"Every day I find myself thrown out of my comfort zone, literally thrown out ... every day I am blessed with the opportunity to work amongst greatness."
We are grateful to each and every one of our supporters, from those who bought tickets to see TYPT shows or donated, or those whose support is longer-term. Thank you.
TYPT 2021 is supported by the D'Oyly Carte Charitable Trust.